Monday, May 2, 2011

Not the zombie apocalypse you were hoping for, but definitely some social media...

I should be audition prepping, but I feel like I have to write this now, while I'm still feeling it.
So, last night, the friends were over and packing up to leave when ACSpells got a text to turn on CNN. We did, and it was actually tense for a few minutes. We couldn't imagine what kind of announcement Obama would be making about national security that had to be kept a secret till his announcement. To keep things light, someone suggested it may be aliens or the zombie apocalypse (my friends are really cool and not at all geeky). We started reviewing the Zombieland rules, etc. And then we waited. For an hour. In front of a confused looking Wolf Blitzer. And finally we knew what we were going to hear. The tone in our room didn't change much. Maybe we were a bit relieved it wasn't about our country in crisis. We were certainly interested to hear what had happened. We smiled a bit that something the government has been attempting for so long had been accomplished. But we waited.
Actually, that's a lie. One of the first things I did was go to get the iPad. I set it on the coffee table, and I opened the facebook news feed, ready to watch it explode. It was no surprise that soon there would be a flood of responses. And I read every single one. See, that moment, last night, is why I think facebook can be awesome. Humans have very few massively shared experiences, and when something happens that impacts the whole world, facebook is now one of the primary ways we can participate in that shared moment. It was cool and weird, and weirdest of all, I witnessed the result of several people finding out about the event via facebook and twitter. Social media as a news source... it probably reaches more people than TV and news at this point. Anyway, some of the comments were witty, some serious. But I got to see that so many acquaintances were sharing our experiences, and sometimes our same thoughts. Something big was happening.
Obama began his speech. No, first was the walk. Ok, I think Obama's strong strut is kind of sexy... or at least it definitely makes him look really cool as a president. I'm glad they set things up so you can watch him walk to and from his speeches. But back on track, I loved the speech. I loved it because it was factual and celebrated the pursuit of peace, and Obama looked right in the camera and said that if people attempt to retaliate, we'll keep kicking ass. It was a great address to our country and an invitation to further unite the peace-seeking world. I thought the tone was just right--accomplished, but respectful. And despite the fact that the event was acknowledged as an important and necessary success, Obama did not make it sound like an event to be celebrated.
Which brings me back to facebook...
Now, I don't remember who posted which status, so this is not targeted at anyone. This is a "this is my blog" moment, so I'm just going to roll with it. When I checked facebook before bed, I felt sick. Disgusted. I saw so, so many posts celebrating death. Here's my question: When a horrible human being dies, no matter how we feel, is there appropriate behavior? I think there absolutely is. I struggle with the USA a lot. See, I love our country, what it stands for, and for the first time in a long time, the man in charge. But the people. Oh, half of the people--entitled, simple, and cruel. (I'm not aiming this at my fb friends who posted--this is how I feel in general about other people.)
Look, if we advertise to the world that we are the best, the country to follow, then we have a responsibility to act accordingly. If we want to be the parent of the world, we should set a good example. And like a lot of parents in our country, we're failing horribly. You know on (pick any sitcom) when awful Uncle Albert dies, and (pick a leading man) has to make a speech about him and doesn't know what to say? But he finds a way to be diplomatic? No way do we need to praise a terrorist, but our country wasn't diplomatic as a whole last night--we were ruthless. I think Obama set a wonderful example, and the country didn't follow. There was something patriotic about people standing outside the White House awaiting the news. And it's touching to remember lives lost and soldiers fighting. But what does sloppy celebration footage say to the world? Does it say anything about justice or rest or finality? No. It says we're partying it up over revenge. And even if I'm so glad he's not here anymore, it's disgusting to make light of such an important moment by taking the focus from the 9/11 victims, the amazing intelligence found in the compound, etc. and putting it all on the killing part.
Today, I've noticed many facebookers posting MLK quotes and reflecting on this very subject. I think facebook (along with the TV footage) has brought to light the debate over how and how much to act out in moments like this. I find this to be another amazing facebook moment--calling out our peers, voicing our opinions, respecting each others' opinions, standing firm in our beliefs, all over the same subject. On facebook and off, I sincerely hope that the consensus will be that as citizens of the world, we will make the priority to unite in progress but remain respectful and remember that death. is. never. "winning."

As always, your comments/opinions are welcome...

1 comment:

  1. hey, Allie. This is the first time I've read your blog! although I've seen the posts 'advertising' it on facebook. Thanks for this. i hear you. I hear you. I was shocked and disgusted, feeling angry when I saw and read celebratory words and cheers at the killing of another human. yuck yuck. yuck.
    anyway. I appreciate your thoughts and the way you think in this post and the few others I have read--

    love,
    rebekah

    ReplyDelete